Thursday, August 30, 2007

Water Water Everywhere...


About a month ago we decided to stop using so much bottled water and invest in a new purifier. We have always had a faucet purifier, but I am very touchy about tap water and have a problem differentiating between tap water that doesn't go through the purifier and tap water that does. We were going through a lot of bottled water - I was using at least 2 bottles a day, which is not just costly but also extremely wasteful. So, we have started the process of curtailing that habit.

We purchased a Brita water pitcher - the model that is not technically a pitcher, but that sits in your fridge and has a little spigot on it. I still take a bottle of water to work with me each day and refill it throughout the day, but when I get home I use the filtered water to refill the bottle instead of using a new bottle. On the weekends I rarely use a bottle of water at all, unless we go somewhere and I want to take one with me. I have noticed that I drink a lot more water at home now, which is good. I think Scott hopes to figure out the monetary value of all this and how much money we will save as well as how many bottles we will keep from using. He's a geek that way.

My hope is to get to the point where I'm not using bottled water at all, but instead have a re-useable bottle that I can re-fill at work and home. So far I have not found a suitable bottle for this purpose. I like the normal water bottles because they are just the right size - all of the re-useable bottles tend to be way too big for what I want/need. The next step is to find that "perfect" bottle that I can use all of the time and stop buying bottled water all together!

No comments: